Saturday, November 06, 2010

How I Managed to Feel Guilty While Recycling

I was raised a good, Jewish boy, so generally I have no trouble manufacturing a feeling of guilt and "should have" and so on.

But I was stunned this morning to realize that I actually felt guilty while recycling my acumulated mounds of plastic, metal and so on.

To achieve such an extreme, it takes....living in the great City of Chicago, led by that great mayor, Richard M. Daley.

Because in Chicago, we have a totally ridiculous recycling program, put in place by that great mayor, Richard M. Daley, in which everything (glass, metal, paper, plastic) is thrown together into a big pile, collected from all over the city into an even bigger (much bigger) pile. Then we hire people to separate out the various types of recyclables.

It doesn't take a genius to imagine the results: broken glass, mixed in with soggy, falling-apart paper, low percentage yield of recyclables from the mess....

I believe Daley has finally, officially given up on the so-called blue bag program. Who knows when this bankrupt city, located in an incredibly bankrupt state, situated in an entirely bankrupt nation, will ever get around to putting a sensible policy in place.

In the meantime, I will either feel guilty for participating in this sham of a recycling program, or seek alternatives that make more sense.

2 comments:

Tim... said...

Hi.

At least your city deals with its own recycling. Some areas ship it abroad to be sorted by people who work for much less money!

Now that's something to be really ashamed of.

Cheers

Tim...

Joel Garry said...

I don't get it. Doesn't the glass get pulverized to be recycled? Doesn't the paper get pulped with water to make new paper?

I would expect the only problem to be unrecyclable plastic.

Do you have any stats on what percentage actually gets recycled? You can't say ridiculous without defining standards.

word: allyz
word: proier