Sunday, April 01, 2007

You call this wisdom?

I don't know what you call it. Steven's Fortune Cookie text? Pompously presumptuous meanderings?

Well, nobody's going to force you to read these. Here goes (writing from Vilnius, Lithuania):
  • There are two kinds of people in the world: people who think there are two kinds of people in the world and people who don't. Which do you think is the more dangerous type?
  • It's not hard to solve many of the biggest problems faced by humanity. You just have to get the rich and powerful to give up a bunch of their wealth and power.
  • Our so-called leaders have utterly failed us (consider: we are causing massive climate change; 50,000,000 Americans are without medical insurance; the disaster in Iraq; people still dying of malaria and TB, etc.). I am not sure I could have done any better, but at least we should be honest enough with ourselves to admit this much.
Oh, and you know that saying by Santana that "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."? I think that it is total rubbish and needs to be completely rejected for several reasons, which I will come back to in a future blog entry.

But allow me to close with my favorite painting from the Contemporary Art Centre in Vilnius, by Aija Zarina titled My Mates:


1 comment:

Unknown said...

First, you are correct there are two kinds of people in the world. Is one more dangerous than the other; I will think about that but my first inclanation is to say no, each group can have a problem person.

Second, it is hard to solve the worl problems because the wealthy dont want it solved they just want more wealth. It's to bad people forget that wealth is not measure in money.

Last, I am looking forward to your blog posting on "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" because I feel that is the number one problem we "Humans" have. I think there is a large portion of the population that is intelligent enough to not repeat history and try to do it better the next time. Unfortunately none of these people seem to be in a majority or a place of power to stop the morons that keep making the mistakes...

BTW: The painting you like is interesting, are there two kinds of people in the painting or just the one?